When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This way of serving Absinthe is the traditional way that Absinthe was served in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. It is popular as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is easy to learn.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. The Absinthe with thujone is necessary.
– A person will require an Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. Replicas of antiques like Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons are available at AbsintheKit.com.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon or a cuillere is used.
– A cube of sugar.
– Take iced water in an Absinthe fountain or in a carafe.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– One can slowly drip iced water over the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. The sugar dissolves by it’s slow dripping and drip from the opening of the spoon. A “louche” effect will be visible as the water mixes into the alcohol. The insolubility of the essential oils in water makes the mixture cloudy when water is added to Absinthe.
– One can enjoy the Green Fairy or the Absinthe.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Various Absinthe followers detested the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– Buy an Absinthe glass
– Importance of an Absinthe slotted spoon
– Use a cube of sugar
– A lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– One has to place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. The right way is to drip the sugar through the slots of the spoon into the Absinthe.
– It is necesary to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– These are the tips to enjoy Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway was used to have it after mixing with champagne calling it “Death in the Afternoon”.
Various mysteries, stories and legends are there focusing on different features of Absinthe. An individual will enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.